History of Aldebury

The name Aldebury of Knowle appears in a Bristol charter of 1188, in Charters of 1252 and 1373 other variations on the name appear.  Its location is not given precisely in the Charters but it was certainly in the area of what is now the junction of the Wells and Bath Roads where a map of 1742 gives the name Aldeburyham.  ‘Alde’ probably meant “old” although it could be a contraction of “alder”, referring to the alder trees that favour the banks of the Avon, ‘bury’ indicates a fortified place or simply a settlement, so Aldebury of Knowle was either the ‘old settlement’ or “Alder village” of the Manor of Knowle.