1. The FSB Celebrating Small Business Awards recognise the best small businesses and the self-employed from right across the UK – from every sector and industry and from businesses of all ages and all sizes. Organised on a regional basis they are free to enter and are open to all small businesses, whether current FSB members, or not. Entries for this year open tomorrow, Thursday 1 August; full details here.
2. M&S Bristol Community Business Challenge: Are you a community business based in Bristol that would benefit from £10k grant funding and support with growing the business? To help you apply the School for Social Entrepreneurs Dartington (SSE) are running an information webinar tomorrow,Thursday 1 August (12 noon – 1pm); more here or email traci.Lewis@dartington.org.
3. This year’s Redfest, the community music and arts festival at St George’s Park, off Church Road BS5 7AA, is on Saturday 3 August; more here.
4. Now into its second year, the Future Bright service helps West of England businesses and employees realise their full potential through developing workplace skills. Among other things it supports businesses by providing access to training and development, and identifying ways to motivate staff, increase productivity and reduce absenteeism.
5. How will businesses adapt to the proposed changes in legislation to cut food waste? How can waste be minimised, resources used efficiently and steps be taken to move toward a circular economy? Bristol City Centre BID together with Bristol Green Capital Network are holding a business breakfast for City Centre BID levy payers on Wednesday 7 August (7.45am – 9.30am) at KPMG, 66 Queen Square BS1 4BE to discuss how best to address these issues; more here.
6. This year’s Bristol International Balloon Fiesta begins on Thursday 8 August.
7. A series of Business West workshops taking place throughout August at Leigh Court BS8 3RA: Market Planning for Small Business on Thursday 8 (10am – 4pm), more here; Increasing Traffic to Your Website on Tuesday 20 (12.30pm – 4.30pm), more here; and a Business Mentoring Clinic on Wednesday 21 August (10am – 11am), more here.
8. PitchFest South West is an intensive training and showcase programme designed to help ambitious businesses with innovative products and services become both pitch and investment ready. Delivered by Enterprise Europe Network in partnership with Innovate UK, the four day programme begins in September at Leigh Court BS8 3RA. Find out more and express your interest – by Friday 9 August – here.
9. It may seem a little early but St Nick’s Night Market are taking applications from traders for the night markets planned for Friday 11 October and Friday 6 December; more here.
10. Great Western Railway (GWR) have announced a transformative new timetable, coming into operation later this year, that will provide 20,000 additional seats a day through Bristol Temple Meads, and 15,000 through Bristol Parkway; more here.
11. Find out more about local not-for-profit business advice service BRAVE Enterprise, including upcoming workshops on a range of topics, here.
12. The World Economic Forum has accepted Bristol’s application to join and set up the Global Shapers Bristol Hub. The Global Shapers Community, a network of 400 hubs across 154 countries, is a movement of communities of young people around the world, connecting 20-30 year-olds who are leaders within their community to make positive changes in their local areas and trying to be the change they want to see around them. The Bristol Hub is currently recruiting; find out more here or see attached.